Internet Safety with First Graders

I’ve had a hard time finding internet safety activities for 1st grade. I believe it’s a fine line – you don’t want to terrify the kids but you do want them to understand the how and why to keep safe. And there are some great videos available; they’re just a bit intense for the younger students.

We started with BrainPop, Jr. Internet Safety. The students always like the BrainPop movies and seem to retain what they learned. Even though it was BrainPop, Jr. I thought the material was still geared more for slightly older students.

Some of the other activities I found were:

• Meet the Web Outlaws (Netsmartz Kids)
  • Bad Guy Patrol – This has 2 levels (ages 5-7 and 8-10); has audio as questions are asked and the player chooses the answer. The answer is reinforced as further explanations are given. Students receive a certificate when finished (which the students loved!).
  • Name that Outlaw – this is a good reinforcement to use after introducing Netsmartz Web Outlaws
  • Router’s Birthday Surprise – Also from Netsmartz, this has lots of good information in it but it’s just a bit too long to do in the lab setting.

I’d love to know about other activities that would be appropriate for 1st graders.