Kindergartners in the Lab

We welcomed our youngest students to the computer lab on Friday. They were very excited to come to the lab for the first time. We talked about what to do when they hear the bell (headphones off, hands in lap – ready to listen). I had them pretend to work on the computer, then rang the bell. I have never seen such quick responses! When it came to the end of lab time and the bell rang, their response was just as prompt.

The most difficult task was learning how to log onto the computer. Ctrl + Alt + Delete poses a bit of of challenge for the students as their little fingers just don’t spread quite far enough to easily reach the keys! By using “bunny ears” on the left hand and “pointer finger” on the right, everyone was able to (eventually) get onto the computer. They learned how to open their kindergarten folder (double clicking is a bit tricky at this age but highlighting the folder and using the enter key works just as well) and go to TVS TechnoWizards to find their activities.

But I did note something interesting. For the last few years, we haven’t had to spend much time on how to use a mouse because most students come to school knowing the basics, having had quite a bit of experience on home computers. After watching several students from each class struggle with the mouse, I wonder if the rise in popularity of touch devices such as iPads and parents’  iPhones have resulted in a lack of familiarity with a mouse. Are desk top computers used much anymore? Next time the kindergartners come to the lab I’m eager to find out how many students have tablets.

Image: Ambro / FreeDigitalPhotos.net