Glogster with 3rd and 4th Graders

I’ve looked at Glogster Edu for the past couple of years but had only used it during SSTVS. But this year, after hearing that other schools in our area are using it, I decided to buy a subscription for our 3rd and 4th graders. A glog is an interactive poster that allows the creator to add images, text, links, video, and more.  

Starting with 4th graders, it quickly became apparent that this was a HUGE hit! The students were more excited about this than I’ve seen them about anything recently! To learn how to make a glog, the assignment was to create something that told about them – their likes, favorite activities, fun links, etc. After showing the basics, I let the students explore and experiment. They picked it up very quickly and enjoyed designing their first glog. At the end of class, I told them to find some website links that they would like to add to their glog. I would show them how the following day.

As the students arrived the following day, I was immediately greeted with:
“I worked on my glog last night and added several things.”
“Some of my favorite links are now on my glog.”
“My dad and I worked on the glog and added a video.”

After seeing how much the 4th graders enjoyed Glogster, I introduced it to 3rd grade. They were just as excited! We spend two class periods doing an “intro” glog; adding links, uploading MS Paint illustrations, and more. Plus, these students are also working on them outside of class.

The next goal is to help the teachers see the uses of Glogster in their curriculum. Since it’s so close to the end of this school year, we’ll probably wait till next year. Already, the students are excited about creating glogs next year so we’ll be off to a great start then.

You need Flash plugin

2 Comments on Glogster with 3rd and 4th Graders

1. Lisa Fink, RWT Staff
    April 16, 2012 at 10:19 am (12 years ago)

Here are some resources from ReadWriteThink.org on Gloster that may be of help:

Using Glogster to Support Multimodal Literacy (http://www.readwritethink.org/professional-development/strategy-guides/using-glogster-support-multimodal-30789.html)
    Glogster, a Web 2.0 tool, supports development of students’ multimodal literacy skills. This guide outlines techniques for critical evaluation and creation of multimodal texts.

Teaching With Glogster: Using Virtual Posters in the Classroom (http://www.readwritethink.org/professional-development/strategy-guides/teaching-with-glogster-using-30790.html)
    Why stop at paper and markers? With Glogster, a free, web-based tool, students can develop virtual posters including audio, video, text, hyperlinks, and images, and share their creations electronically.

Book Report Alternative: Glog That Book! (http://www.readwritethink.org/classroom-resources/lesson-plans/book-report-alternative-glog-30821.html)
    In this alternative book report, students identify the elements of fiction in books they have read by creating glogs, interactive multimedia posters, and then share their glogs.

Reply
  2. Karen
    April 16, 2012 at 10:45 am (12 years ago)

Lisa,
    Thanks so much for the resources! These are fabulous and will be extremely helpful as I plan with the teachers.

Reply