1st Grade Self-Portraits Update

Wow! I was absolutely amazed at how well our 1st graders did creating their self-portraits in MS Paint. You know, it’s not easy drawing with a mouse (my examples always get laughs from the little ones) but we just focus on trying our best. I loved hearing as I modeled ways to draw a mouth, hair, etc – “Hey, that looks easy. I think it can do that!”

Here are the portrait collages from each class. I used PhotoScape (free editing software) to combine the illustrations.

The project took 3 class sessions (40 minutes each) and just about everyone finished in that amount of time. There was only one student who had to start over; we searched and searched but couldn’t find his drawing anywhere in his home directory. The MS Paint attributes were set at width=440 and height=440.

The students seemed to enjoy drawing themselves and really took a lot of time getting their pictures “just right.” Of course it helped having individual mirrors so that they could check every detail!

3 Comments on 1st Grade Self-Portraits Update

1. Megan Koraly
    July 25, 2012 at 11:04 am (12 years ago)

Hello Karen,

I am with SAGE Publications and I our authors would love to use your “1st Grade Self Portraits” picture in their upcoming publication “Becoming a Professional in Early Childhood Education”. Please email me back about releasing permission to use this image in our publication. I can give you additional publication information if you would like. Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing back from you.

Sincere Regards,

Megan Koraly
    Editorial Assistant
    College Editorial Acquisitions
    SAGE Publications, Inc.
    (805) 410-7523
    megan.koraly@sagepub.com

Reply
    • Karen
      July 27, 2012 at 4:58 pm (12 years ago)

Hi Megan. Hope you received the email I sent a couple days ago. Let me know if you didn’t.

Reply
  2. Megan Koraly
    October 2, 2012 at 5:14 pm (11 years ago)

Hi Karen,

For some reason I did not receive your email. Please send again to megan.koraly@sagepub.com and I will look for it to come. Thank you for your assistance.

Best,

Megan

Reply