Blogging with First Graders!

Our first graders were introduced to their class blog on Wednesday. We use KidBlog, an excellent blogging platform because of its ease of use. I love the new feature added this year that allows students to either upload a picture for their avatar or choose from one offered by KidBlog. We spent most of our lab time letting the children choose an avatar from the choices provided (they loved doing that!).

After that came writing a comment to a post that I made for the students.

We talked about how to write a comment, reminding students to sound out words as best they could. The main concern for children always seems to be how to spell words but we assured the students that we wanted their thoughts and to do the best they could. It was fun watching them help each other with spelling.

I absolutely love reading what first graders write (or say for that matter). They are completely honest and it is so exciting to watch the growth in their spelling throughout the year.

Don’t you just love Blaine’s choice for what he’s thankful for?!

For first time blogging, I thought that these young children did a fantastic job. They were very excited and engaged in the process. Next steps – introduce how to write a post. Then we’ll practice writing strong comments to each other.

showing off a finished comment