About Me

After teaching in the classroom for 30+ years (3rd grade for about 10), I moved to a new position as Digital Learning Specialist in 2008. I truly love working with grades K-4; challenging students to imagine, design, create, and share. My goal is to instill a love of learning in all students; modeling the importance of becoming a life-long learner. Please visit my website that we use during our lab classes, TVS TechnoWizards.

I have a fabulous family – the best husband in the world, 2 terrific boys (guess I should say young men!) and a wonderful daughter-in-law. In my spare time, my favorite activities are reading, photography, and spending time with our family. We love traveling and have a goal to visit as many National Parks as we can!

4 Comments on About Me

1. Jodi
    February 7, 2016 at 10:37 am (8 years ago)

We share a very similar story. I have been teaching for 16 years. In 2014, I switched from a 4th grade teacher to a computer teacher. I LOVE it!! Unfortunately, my district had no curriculum or anyone to help me. I asked surrounding district teachers for help. I just found your blog and love it!!! Im not as good as you, but I’m trying… Thanks for sharing.. Jodi

Reply
    • Karen Arrington
      February 8, 2016 at 8:53 am (8 years ago)

Thanks for your comments. I know what you mean about starting from scratch – that’s exactly what happened to me. Now my program is constantly evolving! My ideas are from others who share and I adapt to fit my students. If you ever have a chance to attend a workshop/conference by the EdTechTeacher team, I highly recommend it. I’ve been to several and learn something new every time I go.

Reply
  2. George Ellis Jr
    July 30, 2016 at 12:44 pm (8 years ago)

Hi,

I teach K-8 Technology at St. Mary’s Catholic Elementary School in Alexandria, VA.

I’ve been teaching for here for the last four years. I have taught for technology for the past 20 years and am learning this absolutely amazing Teaching tool called HyperDocs. I’m actually taking a Bootcamp course this right now and my lesson topic is First and Second Grade Internet Safety. My focus is on the Netsmarts Webville Outlaws and I believe your Webville images are perfect.

May I use the four Outlaw images in my project? Of course I will site the sources and will provide you with a link to my finished project.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Until then,

Take care and enjoy your summer.

Reply
    • Karen Arrington
      July 30, 2016 at 3:59 pm (8 years ago)

The Web Outlaws aren’t my idea but came for the NetSmartz website. Unfortunately, the site doesn’t seem to carry them anymore. NetSmartz has redesigned their site and I don’t think it’s as good as it used to be (just my opinion). Click here for a link to the original lesson.

After reading your comment about the HyperDocs, I started doing some research on it since I hadn’t heard of that before. It sounds like an excellent teaching tool! I’m going to have to learn more about it. I’d love to see what you build with your HyperDocs project!

Enjoy the rest of your summer, too. It certainly is going by quickly!!

Reply