Scratch

For the past three years I’ve been able to attend the Building Learning Communities conference in Boston. A pre-conference workshop that I went to last year was an Introduction to Scratch. This year I attended Happily Ever After: Digital Storytelling with Scratch. Both were held at the MIT Media Lab with Mitch Resnick. Scratch is a programming language that allows children to create interactive stories, games, and more. It’s an excellent way for students to develop numerous skills such as creative thinking, collaboration, problem-solving, and more!

Last fall, my 4th graders began working in Scratch and they LOVED it! It was fun watching them try different combinations of blocks to write scripts to make their sprites move in various ways. Sometimes it worked the way they wanted and sometimes it didn’t but it was great to see how they worked together to try to problem-solve. This will definitely be a regular part of the curriculum.

I am certainly no expert at Scratch and am constantly searching for resources to help me do a better job of guiding the students. Here are a few I’ve found: