Genius Hour (or two) with Fourth Graders

I’ve been wanting to try a genius hour with our 4th graders for awhile. The problem is that I’m the technology teacher and the students are with me for such a a short time! But, I was determined to give it a try.

So, early last week I talked to the students about the plan. I told them we’d be doing some things at the beginning of the week but I wanted them to be thinking about what they could do for their genius hour. We talked about passion.

• “What is important to you?”
  • “What do you want to learn more about?”
  • “What do you know a lot about that you could share with others?”
  • “If you were given time to learn or create something, what would it be? How would you do it?

The students were to share whatever they did but other than that requirement, as long as they were productive, they could create in any way they chose. Several asked questions about what they could do; throwing out ideas and checking to see if it was okay. By talking about this early in the week, interest built day by day! The idea was to have Genius Hour on Friday but by Wednesday afternoon it was obvious that we would need to start on Thursday. I have NEVER seen students work so diligently to complete their assignments!

By class time on Thursday, excitement had built to epic proportions (Well, maybe that’s an exaggeration but there was definitely more excitement than I’ve seen in quite awhile!). Several arrived toting all kinds of props.

Mrs. Malone's students with their props

Mrs. Malone’s students with their props

Here are some of the projects students chose:

• Khan Academy – writing code
  • Explaining how to do a PowerPoint
  • Making “how-to” soccer videos
  • Practicing the passion of drawing
  • Creating cartoons
  • Finding ways to explain different types of dance
Khan Academy - coding

Khan Academy – coding

Observations for the first Genius Hour:

• This was hard for some students. Often children are so used to being told what they will be doing that, when given a choice, they get “stuck” and don’t know where to start. A couple questioned me over and over, “Are you sure this is okay to do?” “Can I do this?” This was really thinking outside the box for these children but they’ll get more comfortable the more we do activities like this.
  • The other observation concerned me – I discovered that it was hard for me to let go! I had students doing all kinds of activities, inside and outside of the lab, and they didn’t need ME! I was a coach/guide and that’s what they needed – not someone to tell them exactly what to do! It was a change but something that I need to make sure I continue to do.

I’d like to say that there were completed projects in our two days of Genius Hour, but there weren’t! But that’s just fine! I have never seen such “focus-ness” in our 4th graders. They were in charge of their own learning and most were doing an awesome job planning, creating, discussing, and doing. It was amazing to watch! Next time this class comes to the lab, we will continue with Genius Hour so that they can share what they have accomplished with their classmates. And, we’ll definitely be doing more Genius Hours (or days) this semester!

3 Comments on Genius Hour (or two) with Fourth Graders

1. Diane Malone
    January 21, 2014 at 10:34 pm (10 years ago)

I agree with Karen that the fourth graders were really excited about Genius Hour and worked diligently to create these projects. I was happy to see that several students used the iPad Minis to film some how-to videos. The freedom that Karen gave them to create reminded me of some project based learning that I’ve seen. I agree that it’s sometimes hard to be available as a coach/guide and encourage, but not direct.
    Thank you Karen for letting my homeroom kids be your guinea pigs for your Genius Hour! They are excited to complete their projects in two weeks!

Reply
  2. Diane Orehek
    January 23, 2014 at 9:20 am (10 years ago)

Hey Karen. Have you ever seen our videos explaining first grade inventions? I saved last year’s and would love help publishing them…
    So happy to see this kind of learning…ownership breeds enthusiasm!

Reply
  3. Mrs. Shapard
    January 23, 2014 at 10:02 am (10 years ago)

Wow!
    This is amazing!
    Wonderful!

Reply