Celebrating Picture Book Month!

Did you know that November is Picture Book Month? Mrs. Murphy and Mrs. Hebert, our librarians, issued a challenge to the Lower School to read picture books in an effort to beat last year’s goal of 4,370.

For the past several weeks, we’ve been discussing blogging when the students come to the lab. To correlate with blogging and the library’s challenge, I asked the third graders to bring a picture book to the lab. They were to produce a book talk and upload it to their blog.

We started class by taking a picture of their book cover.

0 book cover photo

The next step was to read the book.

6 readingWriting isn’t always a favored part of a third grader’s life but the students did understand that this step is important to organizing thoughts and really makes the recording go much more smoothly.

10 writing book reviewThe next step was to choose an app. I gave the option of Tellagami (free; available on App Store and Google Play) and ChatterPix Kids (free from App Store). Both have a limit of 30 seconds so students needed to be concise in what they said. Both also allow the user to import photos from the camera roll. With Tellagami, the students created an avatar that “spoke” their recorded message. With ChatterPix, a “mouth” line is drawn and that moves to the narration. The students enjoyed creating a mouth on their book cover.Tellagami and chatterpixThe students recorded, made sure they were satisfied with the sound, saved to photos, then emailed the video to me. Once students completed the process, I put them to work helping others.

recording and saving

Finally, the children uploaded their video to the KidBlog app. Next week their first grade buddies will be listening to the book talks and making comments on their buddies’ posts. I also posted all the book talks on TVS TechnoWizards.

Class Blogs:

Below is a visual of the apps we used for the project.

app smashing with book talks

2 Comments on Celebrating Picture Book Month!

1. Karim Powanda
    March 6, 2015 at 7:18 pm (9 years ago)

Thank you so much for sharing! I just finished an iPad course, and am one of a few teachers who have an iPad in my classroom. I am so excited about what I have learned in this class, and getting started!
    If you have any tips you can share for me as a newbie to iPad integration (beyond content apps) I would love to hear from you!

Reply
    • Karen Arrington
      March 10, 2015 at 3:54 pm (9 years ago)

I’m so glad you are interested in the power of iPad integration! There really is so much that can be done with an iPad – especially in encouraging creativity. I avoid many of the content-specific apps and instead choose those that can be used across the curriculum. Book Creator is my favorite because there are so many things you can do with it. We’ve used it for math (writing fraction stories, going on shape hunts); illustrating and recording responses to reading; collaborating with other schools to write poetry, create a book for our region; and more. Other apps I like are Tellagami, Explain Everything, and ChatterPix Kida. Anything that encourages creativity and allows students to “show” their thinking are what I consider to be the best apps!

I’ve written some posts about a few of the things we’ve done that you could look over. Another really good source is EdTechTeacher – they have a wealth of information!

Reply